Ex Parte Signatures

restrainn order

Cowlitz County is NOT currently offering an in-person ex parte docket. 

For obtaining a judge's signature on a document such as default orders, agreed orders (signed off by all parties), and emergency protection orders, documents for signature can be left with the Superior Court Clerk's office located on the second floor just outside of Courtroom 2.

Documents are transmitted to a Superior Court Judge / Commissioner  throughout the day for consideration and action. Then returned to the Clerk's office. Contact the Clerk's Office for any process and applicable changes they may have to provide conformed documents.

Process for obtaining an Emergency Domestic Violence Protection Order

Petitioners should file their petitions and related documents with the Clerk's office who will schedule them for appearance on the Protection Order Hearing Docket that day or the following court day and petitioners should appear via Zoom. You can find the Zoom information on our webpage at www.cowlitzsuperiorcourt.us/zoom. If your order is signed earlier than the appearance set, you will be notified by the Clerk's office and are not required to appear.

Process for obtaining an Emergency Order (other than a Domestic Violence Protection Order)

(Emergency, for purposes of this memo, is defined as a situation in which there exists a credible threat of imminent and irreparable harm to person, property, or a legal right.  Service deadlines are not an emergency.)

  1. Contact a judicial assistant via email at Superior Court Administration or via telephone at 360.577.3085 option 8.  Provide information regarding the emergency, the time frames you are available to appear at Superior Court Administration, and a phone number where you can be contacted.  A judge may request to review pleadings related to the case.
  2. The judicial assistant will relay the information and the request to a judge.  A judge will decide whether the matter is an “emergency,” and indicate time of availability.  The judicial assistant will inform you of the judge’s decision.  If the judge determines the matter is an emergency, bring the ex parte document(s) to Superior Court Administration within the specified time frame. If the judge determines the matter is not an emergency, the party may note the matter for a hearing.
  3. At Superior Court Administration, give your ex parte document(s) (definition of ex parte) to the judicial assistant.  The judicial assistant will give the ex parte documents to the judge for review and possible signature.  Thereafter, the judicial assistant will provide the signed ex parte document(s) (either granting or denying the relief requested) to the Clerk’s office for filing.

Copies of documents and orders are available from the Superior Court Clerk for a fee. 

Documents may also be submitted for signature by mail or courier. Send any documents together with any fees needed (contact the Superior Court Clerk for current fee schedule and instructions) to:.
Superior Court Clerk
312 SW First Avenue
Kelso, WA 98626 



Print Email

TELEPHONE: (360) 577-3085
TTY (800) 883-6388 OR 7115
Superior Court Administration Hours: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
KELSO, WA 98626
Building Hours - 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM