Apply to be a Court Visitor (Guardian ad Litem
RCW 11.130 is the Washington State law that governs appointment of Court Visitors involved in Adult Guardianship/Conservatorship proceedings. RCW 11.130 provides that the court may appoint a Court Visitor to investigate allegations in the petition and provide recommendations to the Court.
All Court Visitors under this title must comply with the training requirements set out by Washington law. Cowlitz County Superior Court complies with all applicable laws for developing and maintaining a registry of qualified guardians ad litem including an annual review of qualifications.
If you are interested in being considered for the Title 11.130 Adult Guardianship-Court Visitor Registry, you are encouraged to review the following materials and submit all applications materials to the Cowlitz County Superior Court Administration by January 10th, 2022 at 5:00 PM at 312 SW 1st Avenue, Kelso, WA 98626.
Materials to review that will assist you in the application process are as follows:
- Title 11 Guardian Ad Litem/Court Visitor-Policies and Procedures (GAL Title 11 GAL Policies 11.18.21)
- Title 11 Guardian Ad Litem/Court Visitor-Code of Conduct (GAL-Court Visitor Code of Conduct 12.6.21)
- Title 11 Adult Guardianship-Court Visitor-Application (Court Visitor Application Form - title 11)
- Title 11 Guardian Ad Litem/Court Visitor-Release of Information (GAL-Court Visitor Release of Information 12.6.21)
If you are planning to apply to the registry, you must submit the following:
- a completed application (attached above),
- a current Washington State Patrol criminal history check (w/in last two weeks-fee for this is at applicants own expense see: (WATCH Overview - Washington State Patrol), and
- a copy of your Title 11.130 Adult Guardianship-Court Visitor training certificate.
These materials must be received by the Cowlitz County Superior Court Administration by January 10th, 2022 at 5:00 PM. Thank you for your interest in becoming a Court Visitor.