Seeking Guardians ad Litem
RCW 26.12.175 is the Washington State law that governs appointment of guardians ad litem in domestic relations proceedings.RCW 26.12.175(1)(a) provides that, "The court may appoint a guardian ad litem to represent the interests of a minor or dependent child when the court believes the appointment of a guardian ad litem is necessary to protect the best interests of the child in any proceedings under this chapter."The role of the guardian ad litem is to investigate and report factual information to the court concerning parenting arrangements of the child and to represent the child's best interests.
All guardians ad litem appointed under this title must comply with the training requirements set out by Washington law.Cowlitz County Superior Court complies with all applicable laws for developing and maintaining a registry of qualified guardians ad litem including an annual review of qualifications.
If you are interested in being considered for the Title 26 Registry, you are encouraged to review the following materials and submit all application materials to the Cowlitz County Superior Court Administration by July 27, 2018 at 5:00 PM at 312 SW 1st Avenue, Kelso, WA 98626, to the attention of Leah Iverson.
Materials to review that will assist you in the application process are as follows:
- Title 26 Guardian Ad Litem-Policies and Procedures
- Title 26 Guardian Ad Litem-Code of Conduct
- Title 26 Guardian Ad Litem-Application
- Title 26 Guardian Ad Litem-Release of Information
- Title 26 Guardian Ad Litem-State Handbook located at http://www.kcba.org/CLE/Title26GAL.pdf
If you are planning to apply to the registry, you must submit the following:
- a completed application (All of the above forms except the State Handbook are available on our Guardian ad Litem Forms page on our website,
- a current Washington State Patrol criminal history background check (within the last two weeks.Fee for this is at applicant's own expense), and
- a copy of your Title 26 GAL training certificate.
These materials must be received by the Cowlitz County Superior Court Administration by July 27, 2018 at 5:00 PM.Thank you for your interest in becoming a guardian ad litem.