Seeking Guardianship Guardians ad Litem
RCW 11.88 is the Washington State law that governs appointment of guardians ad litem in domestic relations proceedings.RCW 11.88 provides that the court may appoint a guardian ad litem to represent the interests of an alleged incapacitated person when the court believes the appointment of a guardian ad litem is necessary to protect the best interests of the alleged incapacitated person in any proceedings under this chapter.The role of the guardian ad litem is to investigate and report factual information to the court concerning the alleged incapacitated person's best interests.
All guardians ad litem appointed under this title must comply with the training requirements set out by Washington law.Cowlitz County Superior Court complies with all applicable laws for developing and maintaining a registry of qualified guardians ad litem including an annual review of qualifications.
If you are interested in being considered for the Title 11 Registry, you are encouraged to review the following materials and submit all applications materials to the Cowlitz County Superior Court Administration by August 3rd at 5:00 PM at 312 SW 1st Avenue, Kelso, WA 98626.
Materials to review that will assist you in the application process are as follows:
- Title 11 Guardian Ad Litem-Policies and Procedures
- Title 11 Guardian Ad Litem-Code of Conduct
- Title 11 Guardian Ad Litem-Application
- Title 11 Guardian Ad Litem-Release of Information
If you are planning to apply to the registry, you must submit the following:
- a completed application (attached above), This and other listed forms are available on the Court Website at: TITLE 11 GUARDIANSHIP FORMS
- a current Washington State Patrol criminal history check (w/in last two weeks-fee for this is at applicants own expense), and
- a copy of your Title 11GAL training certificate.
These materials must be received by the Cowlitz County Superior Court Administration by August 3, 2018 at 5:00 PM.Thank you for your interest in becoming a guardian ad litem